Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Attack of the Broodies

So, I thought I wouldn't post until I had a chance to edit and post more photos.  But I need to post about this.  Two of my silver laced wyandottes want to be mamas.  Arlene more than Go-Go but I can see Go-Go getting this bad.  So when a chicken wants to be a mama she sits on her nest and waits and waits and if you approach her, she raises all of her feathers and shrieks bloody murder. 

This is what it looks like:


It's not pleasant.  I've been bitten several times today because my hen, Arlene is trying to brood an empty nest.  She didn't even lay a fricking egg today.  Only two of my girls did... and on such a beautiful day... how odd. 

Why couldn't she have been broody two months ago, you know, for the chicks I have now!  I don't have fertile eggs to give her if I wanted to.  I would love to let her go broody and sneak a couple chicks under her but... I don't really have the room at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment