Sunday, March 18, 2012

Don't Count Your Chickens Before They Hatch

I know you aren't supposed to count your chickens before they hatch but I fear the worst for this batch I incubated.  Not a sound and it is supposedly hatch day.  I am hoping that I will go to sleep and I will wake up and a chick will be chirping tomorrow morning and it will be like Christmas (or Easter) morning!  But I don't think we got a great batch.  We bought some from a friend and later found out that Araucanas do not have a great hatch rate.  I noticed while candling several blood rings indicating that several had died half way through.  I'll give them a couple more days before saying good bye and removing them.

Matthew wants leghorn chicks but I'm not sure how I feel.  Leghorns are the ones with the big floppy combs.  They are brilliant layers (they lay white eggs) but they are prone to frost bite and are not always the friendliest.  I want something hardier and more weather resistant as well as nicer.  But the ones I want I have to order in batches of 25!  Can you image?  34 hens on 2 acres, free ranging all over the darn place?  I don't think so. 

Anyway wish me luck.  Hopefully I'll have some fluffy friends soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment